I am always looking for curious and hardworking students and postdocs: undergraduates, master’s students, PhD students, and Postdocs. However, I receive a lot of email from students interested in applying to UBC. If you would like to get a response to your email, please read the following and send me the information I request.
Additionally, if you are applying to our graduate programs, you should be aware of the following facts:
- Students are admitted by the department, not by individual faculty.
- The department begins reviewing applications in January for the following academic year.
- You cannot be admitted if you do not submit a complete application.
- Even if I believe that you are well-suited for my group, I cannot guarantee that you will be admitted, although I can make a case for you.
- I do not review any applicant materials before the academic year begins in the Fall.
- I am also unlikely to review materials in September as that is the busiest time of the year.
If you are interested in working with me, please do the following:
- Visit my Publications Page. Skim through the titles to get a sense of the kinds of work I am currently doing.
- If this matches with your interests, continue. If it does not, please do not send me email -- I cannot advise students/postdocs in areas in which I do not have expertise.
- Find a few papers that look particularly interesting and read their abstracts.
- Pick at least one paper and read it.
- If you are still interested, then send me email including the area(s) in which you are interested in working, the background you are bringing to the area (for undergrads this part is less important), and which paper you read. Check below of topics relevant to particular applicants.
Information for Postdocs
- Please include a 1-2 page statement that tells me what your goals are for the postdoc and the specific research you are interested in undertaking.
- Tell me when you will complete your Ph.D.
Information for PhD Students
- Please include a summary of your prior research experience
- If you are applying with an MSc degree, please tell me whether your Master's program was research-oriented; if so, provide a 1-paragraph summary of your master's thesis.
- If you are applying direct from an undergraduate program, please send copy of your CV/resume and transcript.
Information for MSc Students
- Please include your resume/CV and undergraduate transcript
- Please tell me what your goal is in earning a Master's degree
Information for Undergraduates
- Please include a copy of your resume/CV and transcript