Yellow Cake (for cake construction projects)
This recipe was adapted from Favorite All Time Recipes, Birthday cakes
For Kids, copyright 1991 by Publications Internaitonal, Ltd.
The recipe below makes either 1 13*9, 1 10 inche bundt, 2 9-inch square,
2 8-inch squares, 3 8-inch rounds, 8 large cupcakes, or 24 medium cupcakes.
Cooking times will vary as indicated below.
I doubled the recipe for the (in)famous Rubik's cube cake.
The original recipe was not gluten-free, but since two of the four people
in my household are GF, I do it this way.
We used to have to avoid casein (dairy), so I'll make comments about that
- 2 cups of "flour" -- I use the following combination but I find
things pretty forgiving -- you can use whatever you want as long as
you use a 2:1 ratio of GF flours to starches. Also, avoid the bean
flours, because this cake has a delicate flavor.
- 1/6 cup potato starch
- 1/6 cup arrow root
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened (use Fleischman's regular if you cannot have dairy)
- 1 cup milk (use almond milk if you can't have dairy)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I always use way more)
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease and flour cake pan(s) (I used sweet rice flour, quite liberally) --
oops just noticed that the book says to use wax paper too -- I didn't and they
popped out just fine; I have nice heavy-weight baking pans.
- Sift (I never sift) flour, baking powder and salt together into the bowl of
the mixer and stir.
- Add sugar and stir
- Add butter, mlik, and vanilla and beat with electric mixer (I use a
KitchenAid) at low for about 30 seconds.
- Beat at medium for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs; beat 2 minutes.
- Pour into cake pans and bake according to times below until a wooden
pick in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Use cutting boards or flat plates to dump cakes out. Let cool completely.
- 1 13x9 inch pan: 35-40 minutes
- 1 10 inch bundt cake: 45-55 minutes
- 2 9-inch cakes: 35-40 minutes
- 2 8-inch squares: 30-35 minutes
- 2 8-inch rounds: 20-25 minutes
- 8 large (4-inch) cupcakes: 35-40 minutes
- 24 medium (2 3/4-inch) cupcakes: 20-25 minutes