Cajun Monkfish wrapped in Bacon
This recipe is from Cape Ann Fresh Catch
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 6-oz monkfish fillets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 thin slices of bacon
- 2 Tblsp of olive oil
- 1 stick of unsalted butter cut into 10 pieces
- 2 Tblsp of minced fresh parsley
- In a small heavy saucepan, combin vinegar, wine, shallots and
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup
(about 10-15 minutes).
- Season the monkfish lightly on both sides with Essence and salt.
- Place 2 slices of bacon on a flat surface, lay the filet on top and then
wrap the bacon around the filet, securing with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the filets, skin side down and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the filets and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Bring the wine reduction to a simmer over medium low heat.
- Whisk in the butter, one piece at a time, allowing each piece to be
completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1 Tblsp of sauce on each (of 4) plates; place a bacon-wrapped
filet on the sauce, and top with two more Tablespoons of sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.