This recipe is the one found
skipping pictures and variations:
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 tsp xanthum gum
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup other GF flour (millet, oat, sorghum, corn, buckwheat, etc; I usually use a combination of oat and something)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Proofing Ingredients
- 2/3 milk (whatever kind you want; I use almond) warmed to 120-130 degrees
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature; if taking from the fridge, put the, in warm water for a bit)
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- Other Stuff
- Flour for shaping -- the original recipe calls for sweet rice flour, but
I've used whatever I had lying around.
- 1 egg white for bagel wash
- corn meal for baking tray
- Toppings: salt, sesame, dried onion, poppy seeds, etc.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Whisk together warm milk, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes to proof.
- While waiting for the yeast to proof, mix the xanthum gum, baking
powder, baking soda and salt. Add flours and starches and mix/whisk
- Once the yeast is puffy and bubbly, whisk in each egg one at a time.
Then whisk in the agave nectar and cider vinegar.
[Note: if the yeast mixture doesn't
become puffy and bubbly, you have to try again. Repeated failures indicate
that your yeast is dead ;-(]
- Now put the paddle attachment on the mixer and start mixing at medium
speed. Add the flour mixture 1/3 cup at a time until all mixed. Then
mix for 5 more minutes on medium. You'll be left with a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and gently coat with enough
flour so you can handle it.
- Form dough into small balls (about 6-8), flatten into a thick disk
and then poke your finger through the middle for form a bagel shape.
Place shaped bagels on a non-stick baking pan. Repeat for all of dough.
- TURN OVEN OFF
- Place bagels in oven (that has been turned off).
- Let bagels rise for about 45 minutes and then put on a pot of water to
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare baking pan with cornmeal (grease first if baking sheet is
- After water is boiling, remove bagels from oven. Boil each bagel 20
seconds per side, one at a time. Place boiled bagel on prepared baking
- Mix egg white with 1 Tbsp water and beat thoroughly. Coat each
bagel with the egg wash and whatever toppings you want.
- Bake bagels for about 15-18 minutes intil golden and slightly crisp.
- In theory you're supposed to let the bagels cool for 30 minutes; in
practice you'll eat them as soon as you can without burning your mouth.