Something Resembling a Squash Lasagna
This recipe was inspired from a recipe form Lindentree called
a Lindentree casserole.
- Summer Squash, zucchini, (also eggplant) -- about 2-3 large ones,
depending on just how large.
- A couple of onions.
- A few peppers (sweet or hot)
- 20 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 cups of shredded cheese: some combination of mozzarella,
pecorino romano or even cheddar (I like dubliner).
- Olive oil for sauteeing and marinating
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix about 2 tbsp each of balsamic and olive oil together
- Cut the squash and/or eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- Lay out the slices on baking pans.
- Brush each slide with the balsamic/olive oil mix.
- Bake about 20 minutes on each side (pulling it out if they start looking
- Cut onions and peppers into strips, mix in some olive oil, salt and
- Dump onions and peppers in a baking pan and bake about 20-25 minutes,
stirring about half way through.
- Now, once all the veggies are roasted (you could also grill them
outside if you wanted), assemble something that is vaguely like
- Grease a 9*13 inch pan.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with zucchini/eggplant.
- Coat bottom layer with tomato sauce
- Dot pesto over the entire layer.
- Next toss about half the onion/pepper mixture over the layer.
- Sprinkle on a bunch of cheese.
- Lather, rinse, repeat. (I usually do two filling layers and three
- Bake for about an hour